Fund Support Analyst – VCT
Mercia Asset Management is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is the leading regional investor in the UK. Our business is investing in and partnering with small businesses (SMEs), which are often technology companies, to support their development so that we generate attractive financial returns for our clients.
The business has recently grown organically and through acquisition to just under £1 billion assets under management (AUM), most recently taking on management of the Northern Venture Capital Trust (VCT) Funds in December 2019. The wider group, consisting of circa 100 employees in offices in the Midlands, Manchester, Newcastle and London, now invests in venture capital, private equity and debt and with over 400 portfolio companies, can be considered one of the leading providers of capital and expertise across the UK regions.
We are now looking for a new Fund Support Analyst to play a key supporting role for our VCT Team, who are based across the UK.
The VCT team consists of 9 investors and a support team who are spread across the UK. This is an opportunity to join the support team in a new role. You will be working with our VCT investing team, on a wide variety of activities, investing and supporting a portfolio of circa 30 fast-growing companies. No day will be the same. No direct experience is necessary but you will have some experience that will demonstrate you have potential to work in a dynamic environment. You will gain exposure to both fund management and technology companies and as part of a larger group there will be significant career opportunities over time.
As a Fund Support Analyst, you will be responsible for supporting the investment team with the key activities of their business. Essentially you will be the glue that binds the investment team to work together effectively, with activities including:
- Ensuring that new investment opportunities are appropriately co-ordinated and tracked across the team, using Mercia’s CRM and other internal systems, including the recording of contacts in the CRM database.
- Day to day support of the investment team; including arranging meetings and supporting the investment processes. This will involve helping with diary management; organising venues; arranging travel; taking minutes; following up on actions; compiling documentation and tracking activities.
- Co-ordinating, and in some cases preparing monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to a variety of stakeholders, including the finance department, auditors, clients and regulators.
- Working with the team on projects and activities in development of the business as needed. These could be digital marketing activities, events, client seminars through to documentation and financial reconciliation.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- You will have a strong academic record and some experience working in a dynamic office setting in your career to date, where you have been able to demonstrate an ability to work with people and succeed in your role.
- A high level of personal motivation and self-organisation is essential. You will need to be able to work to deadlines and be comfortable managing multiple projects independently, liaising with a variety of stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, diligence and a willingness to learn and develop will be critical to being successful in this role given the need for high-quality, attention to detail, and thoroughness in regulated financial activities. These will be key to your progression in the group.
- You must have strong communication and interpersonal skills that enable you to work effectively across multiple, distributed teams in a dynamic environment.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and some awareness/experience of typical office applications (e.g. CRM, HR applications etc).
- Aspects of the role will be financial. We can provide training but you will need to be numerically literate.
- Initially, the role will be working from home but ultimately will involve working from one of our offices. In addition, you should be prepared for occasional travel to other Mercia offices across the UK.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: firstname.lastname@example.org