Mercia is a national investment group focused on the creation/identification, funding and scaling of innovative technology businesses with high growth potential from the UK regions. As a Analyst/Deal Scout in our Midlands based Ventures team, you will play a key role in providing research and information to support sound investment decision-making and have a key role in deal origination.
This is an entry level role, joining a venture capital team where you will learn the skills of a VC. Progression to Investment Associate as the next usual step after a successful 18 month to 2 year period.
The Analyst/Deal Scout is responsible for:
- Carrying out market research to identify investment opportunities across industries, providing data as directed and making recommendations for investment. This includes identifying target investment companies from desk research and making contact to explore the potential for investment.
- Maintaining an extensive network of deal introducers including professional advisors, accelerators, incubators, Universities and entrepreneurs, with particular thought to searching the whole of the market. This is to include identifying underserved founder groups such as those from harder to reach geographies, female founders, non-white founders and different socioeconomic groups who have historically been underfunded.
- Representing Mercia Ventures at events including pitching events, panels, business breakfasts, dinners and networking events.
- Closely monitoring financial press; tracking market and sector trends, opportunities, and risks.
- Examining and assessing economic and market trends, earning prospects, financial statements and other indicators and factors to determine suitable funding strategies.
- Working with the investment team in supporting the evaluation of companies.
- Developing financial models and projections to support senior deal team.
- Contributing to investment committee papers as directed.
- Developing sector specific thought leadership pieces.
- Keeping Group CRM systems updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
- A graduate with at least a 2:1 degree, or a financial qualification will be considered positively.
- Relevant work experience preferred.
- Sound commercial acumen and analytical skills; able to examine and interpret data from different sources and understand its impact on investment decisions.
- Strong financial analysis skills; ability to understand financial information, including financial statements, company accounts and sector data.
- Good research and writing skills.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; ability to work with colleagues at all levels.
- Strong Excel and database skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- A keen interest in keeping up-to-date on the UK economy and financial markets.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and client sites, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.