We are looking for a corporate solicitor to join our in-house legal team. Reporting directly to the Group General Counsel, this is an important and hands-on role, which will primarily be focused on delivering investment deals by Mercia’s investment funds into new and existing portfolio assets and providing advice to the investment team on a variety of matters arising from those investments. The Associate Legal Counsel will also provide legal support to the Mercia business more generally including Mercia’s share option plans and co-investment schemes and the duties of a company secretary in an AIM listed Group.
The Associate Legal Counsel will:
- Prepare and negotiate heads of agreement, investment agreements, articles of association, board minutes, shareholder resolutions and other documents relevant to investment deals made by Mercia investment teams;
- Prepare and negotiate loan documentation and associated security documents;
- Provide advice to the investment and debt teams in connection with the enforcement of investment rights and security;
- Provide detailed legal advice in relation to corporate governance and corporate finance;
- Provide high level advice in relation to insolvency, intellectual property, commercial agreements, data protection and employment matters;
- Instruct external legal counsel as appropriate and manage matters that have been outsourced;
- Deal with Companies House filings;
Assist in the preparation and delivery of internal legal training.
Job Holder (Typical Qualifications & Experience):
- Have an excellent academic record in addition to 1-3 years’ post-qualification experience (whether private practice or in-house). Secondment experience in an in-house environment is preferred but not essential for those still in private practice.
- Have hands-on experience in corporate transactional work, including but not limited to venture capital and private equity investments and mergers and acquisitions. Experience dealing in particular with EIS and VCT qualifying investments is desirable.
- Have a good understanding and experience of dealing with different corporate structures, particularly limited partner fund structures.
- Have experience advising on corporate governance and company secretarial matters. Strong knowledge of company law, corporate governance and practical application of the law is essential, including but not limited to all aspects of the Companies Acts, FCA regulations, AIM Rules, Anti-money laundering regulations, Listing Rules, Takeover Code.
- Be able to commercially apply legal principles in a business setting across a range of commercial matters, including the drafting of commercial contracts and negotiations.
- Have good legal research skills and ability to apply that research in a practical environment.
- Be motivated, confident and have the skills to lead on deals with appropriate supervision and support.
- Possess good organisational and time management skills to ensure that tasks are effectively scheduled within working time available, and that urgent work is completed and returned within the specified timescales.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with employees at all levels.
- Have good computer skills, including a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and database use.
- Share/demonstrate our Mercia Core Values/Behaviours.
- The ability to travel for this role. Outside of lockdown times, this role will involve regular travel to other Mercia office locations.
- Have the right to work in the UK.
This role requires full mobility within the UK and therefore you will need to be able to drive in the UK and have a car for business use.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: email@example.com