Do you have a solid understanding of data structures and database design and are comfortable using a variety of tools to facilitate the collection, analysis, visualisation and reporting of data? Well, we would love to hear from you!
Mercia is a national investment group focused on providing venture capital, private equity, and debt-based investment to businesses with high growth potential from across the UK. Mercia must collect, manage, and report on data relating to our network of contacts, applicants, investee companies and the funding rounds provided. Mercia has a portfolio of over 400 investee companies, and receives over 3000 applications per year for funding and we use and have developed a suite of systems to provide insights across the team and to our stakeholders.
We are currently recruiting for a full time Data Analyst/Scientist to handle, manipulate, validate, cleanse, and present data using a wide range of tools, APIs and systems.
As a Data Analyst/Scientist, you will have a solid understanding of data structures and database design and be comfortable using a variety of tools to facilitate the collection, analysis, visualisation and reporting of our data. An understanding of data engineering will also be helpful to help build and maintain systems and to move data between them. As a financial services company, the applicant will need to be comfortable with or willing to learn the fundamentals of investment instruments (i.e. equity, debt), company management accounts, valuations and audit.
Ideally you will be based at our Manchester office but we will consider Henley-in-Arden or Leeds. Initially you will be required to attend our induction and training sessions in the office but you will have the benefit of hybrid/flexible working arrangements.
The Data Scientist will be responsible for:
- Handling, manipulating, validating, cleansing, and presenting data using a wide range of tools, APIs and systems. Data science / programming experience required.
- Ensuring all company systems are updated accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provide regular management information for each Fund Principal and Executive Team.
- Develop as a company Systems champion (currently Quickbase, Excel, Python, AWS) and develop company training resources.
- Full understanding of data structure and data fields for ad hoc reporting and visualisations.
- Assist team in administration building all aspects of the company database.
- Assist in regular reporting for clients, such as the British Business Bank, and to third parties such as Beauhurst, Pitchbook and the British Venture Capital Association.
- Providing support to fund administrators to ensure accurate details are held on the system.
- Supporting the CIO and Exec team on ad-hoc management information reports.
- Ad-hoc telephone and other administration duties.
What you’ll need
- Educated to graduate level (ideally computer science or related), previous experience of working where a high degree of attention to detail is required.
- 1 to 3 years of relevant work experience preferred with strong experience of databases.
- Sound in-depth analytical skills: able to examine and interpret data from different sources and understand its impact on data reports.
- Direct experience with Low-Code systems (e.g. Quickbase, Pega, Zoho Creator) or customisable web / CRM environments (e.g. HubSpot / Salesforce / Microsoft Dynamics / Business Central).
- Working knowledge of database architecture and data structures.
- Comfortable with manipulating data using Excel and custom scripts / programs (ideally using Linux, Git, Jupyter Notebooks, Python, Pandas and others).
- Experience using AWS (Amazon Web Services) tools such as Step Functions, Lamba, S3 would be helpful.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility to learn new systems
- Experience of working with and interrogating large databases.
- Preferably have worked in a financial institution or at least have an understanding of basic accounting terminology and familiarity with financial investments.
- Good report writing skills.
- Strong work and team ethics and the ability to engage directly with 3rd party suppliers / developers.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with colleagues at all levels.
- Strong Excel and database skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- You should be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices or locations for meetings as required.
- You should have the right to work in the UK and a current/valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- We are a collaborative team and it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.