You are joining Mercia at the most exciting time in our history! Following the acquisition of three venture capital trusts (VCT) fund management contracts in December 2019, this brings us significantly closer to achieving our strategic milestone of managing £1.0billion in AuM by 2022, and makes us a valuable and valued active asset manager.
Mercia has an exceptional record in delivering investment returns based on our flexible capital solutions across four asset classes of venture capital, private equity, debt and proprietary balance sheet capital. Together with the three Northern VCTs, Mercia plans to further dominate the regional venture capital market and offer full life-cycle support, from seed to scale-up and beyond, including when investee companies may no longer qualify for VCT investment.
With strong regional investment track records and long-standing commitments to supporting fast- growing SMEs across the UK, Mercia and NVM have grown substantial portfolios.
Due to our continued growth, we are looking for a new Fund Administrator within the VCT Team.
You will be supporting our VCT team who are investing in and supporting a portfolio of circa 30 fast-growing companies. You will provide support in all areas of the investment process and the administration of the assigned funds, to ensure the efficient planning and execution of the day-to-day functions of the funds and their investments.
No two days will be the same and you will need to be used to working in a dynamic environment, supporting a team who are geographically spread.
You will liaise extensively with the wider Mercia investment teams, our Head of Portfolio and our Chief Investment Officer.
As a Fund Administrator, you will be responsible for assisting the investment team with:
- Co-ordinating all investment applications by ensuring the correct information is logged in the CRM system by the investment team and that there are timely follow ups in line with internal KPI’s.
- The deal completion process as required in preparation and collation of due diligence information, including appropriate compliance documentation, cash transfer processes and post completion follow-up under the guidance of the Fund Principal.
- Maintaining investment databases and other records in respect of all client fund portfolio investments; recording new investments, liaising and reconciling with the Finance Department and financial systems for the purpose of recording budgeted investment returns and subsequent monitoring of actual income and realisations; including where necessary any other changes to investment details.
- Developing the Agenda for team meetings (e.g. weekly WIP meetings and quarterly portfolio review sessions) and preparing minutes highlighting key actions and responsibilities.
- Documenting minutes from Investment Committee meetings.
- Ensuring that all portfolio companies provide monthly management information.
- Helping to ensure timely collection of income and capital repayments due from portfolio companies.
- Working with the investment teams on the development, co-ordination and production of the internal and external reports e.g. WIP list, third party transaction reports, investee company lists, quarterly portfolio valuation reviews and investor portfolio and return reporting
- Planning timetables for and assisting with all client reporting and audits (having regard to internal, FCA and other reporting deadlines) and ensuing that any necessary internal/third party information or statistics are supplied to/requested from the relevant party to enable timely production of valuations, reports and accounts.
- Working with the Marketing function to plan, co-ordinate and execute promotion of the Fund and its activities.
- Assisting the investment team with collating and recording key contacts, ensure internal drive portfolio documents are updated and helping to organise meetings.
- Assistance as required in the general development, promotion and day to day management of the Mercia business and its current and future funds.
- Assisting and covering colleagues working on other funds during times of holiday or absence.
- You will also assist the Fund Accountants with preparing financial information and statements as required from time to time.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Previous experience in the administration of Funds strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in a financially based administration role, combined with a strong controls background. (Relevant experience in the financial services sector is not a requirement but would be useful).
- Strong MS Excel modelling skills are essential as well as proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and database use.
- An accounting qualification would be an advantage but is not essential.
- You must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work with all levels of management.
- Excellent time management and a high level of organisation is essential, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects independently.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- A sel-starter with a passion for technology and start-ups and a desire to make a difference within a growing investment business.
- You will have a strong academic record.
- We are a collaborative team and it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You should be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices for meetings.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: firstname.lastname@example.org