As a senior and key member of the Mercia Investment team you will be responsible for the oversight and
management of the EIS Fund to ensure target returns for investors. Working closely with the Chief Operating
Officer, you will ensure that the EIS element of the P&L performance for MFM Limited is achieved. You’ll have full
responsibility for managing the EIS investment team, developing and agreeing resourcing plans to ensure targets
You will be an active member of Mercia’s Investment Committees, and Fund Principals Group.
JOB PROFILE (Key Features):
You will be responsible for:
- Developing the investment strategy and policy for the whole portfolio of a fund, optimising the potential for investors ROI.
- Evaluating new Fund Mandate ideas and tenders.
- Evaluating changes within the industry and the impact on the fund strategy and adapting accordingly.
- Identifying and articulating the investment’s fund objectives to investors and other stakeholders, and the IC.
- Representing the EIS Fund to investors and investees and being accountable for the delivery of anticipated returns and accurate/regular reporting.
- Identifying potential investment opportunities for the Fund (and sometimes more widely across other Mercia funds), through market analysis, networking and building long term relationships with management teams and other stakeholders.
- Developing a portfolio of your own direct investments and managing any conflict of interests accordingly.
- Negotiating deals and executing transactions, including the technical structuring of competitive investment packages to meet the requirements of the Fund.
- Ensuring an appropriate mix of investee businesses within the Fund portfolio, to provide the best chance of meeting stakeholder requirements.
- Applying experience and personal insights into a range of industries to make sound investment decisions.
- Managing the due diligence process and identifying any risks of non-compliance within the investee companies.
- Ensuring completion of all relevant financial, people and legal elements of any transaction and liaising with external advisors.
- Advising the senior management of an investee company in order to execute the value creation plan.
- Evaluating and approving the exit route that offers best value and return on investment.
- Post investment after-care, comprising management and monitoring of the financial and operational performance of the investee company and supporting and giving guidance on its operational and strategic issues.
- Ensuring service level standards and turnaround times are met for all enquiries.
- Forecasting and planning resource requirements systematically to meet current and future needs, to deliver the fund strategy.
- Coaching, objective setting, performance management and career development of the team, taking into account strategic objectives and business needs.
- Ensuring the ongoing competency of team members and providing reporting against competency requirements.
- Providing inspirational leadership that empowers and motivates the team.
- Working with peers and the Mercia SLT Team to ensure consistency of leadership and communication across the business.
- Working with peers and the Mercia SLT to develop and augment KPIs and best practice.
- May be required to acquire FCA approval as a Senior Manager, with responsibility for a business unit and relevant risk requirements.
JOB HOLDER (Qualifications & Experience):
- Track record of making early stage technology investments – likely to have at least 10 years of early stage investment experience.
- Solid knowledge and experience of the UK venture landscape.
- Well networked in early stage investment with advisers, deal introducers, HNWIs and NXDs in the regions.
- Experience of working with Boards of investee companies.
- Evidence of leading a team investors and managing multiple investment related projects to tight deadlines.
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Ambitious, self-motivated and leads by example.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment, understanding the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Evidence of solid academic achievement.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.