Mercia is a national investment group focused on the creation/identification, funding and scaling of innovative technology businesses with high growth potential from the UK regions. As an Investment Associate in our Midlands based Ventures team, you will be supporting the investment in companies with a focus on the East or West Midlands geographic regions. Investments will be made from the Midlands Engine Investment Fund. You will also support with preparation of investment documentation and reporting. As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but, in some cases, may represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies.
You will be based in the Midlands, and there is a requirement to travel to other Mercia offices and investee companies on a regular basis.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Building strong relationships with sources of deal-flow in the market (e.g., advisors, lawyers, investors).
- Demonstrating a knowledge of the UK venture landscape – understanding the contribution of private equity /venture capital in terms of the achievement of the return on investment and can explain the features of different models of private equity/venture capital and their importance to an organisation.
- Carrying out market research to identify investment opportunities across a broad range of industries, providing data as directed and making recommendations for investment.
- Assessing the viability of an investment by building financial models as directed.
- Assisting with the modelling of deal structures and supporting with deal execution
- Monitoring operational performance of investments in line with an agreed plan.
- Applying good analytical skills to assess investee company performance on an ongoing basis post investment, including understanding any variances and reporting back internally.
- Carrying out research in the sector to provide insight into valuation metrics and M&A activity to support with deal structuring, value creation and exit planning and execution.
- Involvement in the preparation of investment and exit-related documentation as directed.
- Keeping our Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
- Previous investment/portfolio management experience is preferable but is not essential.
- A sound technical background, e.g. accountancy/banking qualification and/or experience of working in a corporate finance/corporate recovery professional team is essential.
- The ability to build solid internal relationships and external partnerships with investment/portfolio colleagues and assigned portfolio companies;
- Experience of partnering with Boards of investee companies and making recommendations to our Investment Director where management changes may be appropriate;
- An established network of professional advisers, turnaround professionals, FDs etc.
- Experience of financial analysis and strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable having difficult conversations and managing multiple stakeholders.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- A strong work and team ethic.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ambition and self-motivation – ability to self-manage time and priorities.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and client sites, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- The role is full-time and you should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.