Mercia is a national investment group focused on the creation/identification, funding and scaling of innovative technology businesses with high growth potential from the UK regions. As an Investment Associate in our Leeds based Ventures team, you will be supporting the investment in companies with a focus on the wider Northern geographic region. Investments will be made from the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund. You will also support with preparation of investment documentation and reporting.
As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but in some cases may represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies. You will be based in Leeds and there is a requirement to travel to other Mercia offices and client sites including Sheffield and Manchester.
The Investment Associate is responsible for:
- Building strong relationships with sources of deal-flow in the market (e.g. advisors, lawyers, investors).
- Demonstrating a knowledge of the UK venture landscape – understanding the contribution of private equity /venture capital in terms of the achievement of the return on investment and can explain the features of different models of private equity/venture capital and their importance to an organisation.
- Carrying out market research to identify investment opportunities across a broad range of industries, providing data as directed and making recommendations for investment.
- Assessing the viability of an investment by building financial models as directed.
- Assisting with the modelling of deal structures and supporting with deal execution.
- Monitoring operational performance of investments in line with an agreed plan.
- Applying good analytical skills to assess investee company performance on an ongoing basis post investment, including understanding any variances and reporting back internally.
- Carrying out research in the sector to provide insight into valuation metrics and M&A activity to support with deal structuring, value creation and exit planning and execution.
- Involvement in the preparation of investment and exit-related documentation as directed.
- Keeping our Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
Skills & Experience:
- Experience of making investments in an investment fund or similar (likely to be 1-2 years).
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling required.
- Experience preferred in supporting with the preparation of investment papers and presenting effectively at Investment Committee meetings in a similar environment.
- Experience of monitoring/reporting on portfolio company performance preferred.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment preferred and an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and client sites, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- The role is full-time and you should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender reassignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.