We are currently recruiting for a full time Investment Associate to work within our Growth Fund team, based in our Manchester office. The Growth Funds will make investments of up to £10.0million in established and ambitious SMEs, looking to grow, with a focus on management buyouts and replacement capital.
You will be supporting with the investment in and monitoring of companies across the United Kingdom including in the North of England. This includes supporting the Investment Managers and Investment Directors with the preparation of investment documentation and portfolio company reporting.
As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but in some cases may represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies.
Key responsibilities include –
- Develop strong relationships with sources of deal-flow in the market (e.g. advisors, lawyers, investors).
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the UK venture landscape – understands the contribution of private equity /venture capital in terms of the achievement of the return on investment and explains the features of different models of private equity/venture capital and their importance to an organisation.
- Carry out research in the sector to provide insight into valuation metrics and M&A activity to support with deal structuring, value creation and exit planning and execution.
- Assess the viability of an investment by building financial models as directed.
- Be involved in the modelling of deal structures and support with deal execution.
- Monitor operational performance of investments in line with an agreed plan.
- Apply good analytical skills to assess investee company performance on an ongoing basis post investment, including understanding any variances and reporting back internally.
- Be involved in the preparation of investment and exit-related documentation as directed.
- Keep our Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
What you’ll need:
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of academic achievement.
- Ideally from a Corporate Finance background
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ideally a Corporate Finance background
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling preferred
- You may have experience in supporting with the preparation of investment papers and presenting investment recommendations.
- You may have experience of reporting on portfolio company performance.
- Understands the purpose of the 100 day plan and the expected deliverables.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment preferred and demonstrating an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.