You are joining Mercia at the most exciting time in our history! Having recently completed a successful placing to raise £30.0million and the acquisition of three venture capital trusts (VCT) fund management contracts from NVM Private Equity LLP, this brings us significantly closer to achieving our strategic milestone of managing £1.0billion in AuM by 2022, and makes us a valuable and valued active asset manager.
Mercia has an exceptional record in delivering investment returns based on our flexible capital solutions across four asset classes of venture capital, private equity, debt and proprietary balance sheet capital. Together with the three Northern VCTs, Mercia plans to further dominate the regional venture capital market and offer full life-cycle support, from seed to scale-up and beyond, including when investee companies may no longer qualify for VCT investment. With strong regional investment track records and long-standing commitments to supporting fast- growing SMEs across the UK, Mercia and NVM have grown substantial portfolios.
As a member of the Mercia Investment team you will be supporting the investment in companies with a focus on the wider Midlands geographic region. Investments will be made from the Midlands Engine Investment Proof of Concept Fund but may also include the Seed EIS and EIS investment funds managed by Mercia. You will also support the Investment Managers and Investment Directors with the preparation of investment documentation and reporting. As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but in some cases may represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies.
- Demonstrates a knowledge of the UK venture landscape – understands the contribution of private equity /venture capital in terms of the achievement of the return on investment and explains the features of different models of private equity/venture capital and their importance to an organisation.
- Carries out market research to identify investment opportunities across industries, providing data as directed and makes recommendations for investment.
- Assesses the viability of an investment by building financial models as directed.
- Involvement in modelling deal structures.
- Monitors operational performance of investments in line with a plan.
- Applies good analytical skills to assess investee company performance, including understanding any variances.
- Carries out research in the sector to provide insight into valuation metrics and M&A activity to support assessment of exit opportunities and value creation.
- Involvement in the preparation of exit-related documentation as directed.
- Keeps Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
Experience and qualifications
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling required.
- Experience preferred in supporting with the preparation of investment papers and with support, presenting effectively at Investment Committee meetings, showing a well-researched proposal.
- Experience of reporting on asset performance preferred.
- Understands the purpose of the 100 day plan and the expected deliverables.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment and demonstrating an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: email@example.com