We are currently recruiting for a full time Investment Associate to support the investment in companies with a focus on the North East geographic region. Investments will be made from the North East Venture Fund but may also include other funds under management. You will also support the Investment Managers and Investment Directors with the preparation of investment documentation and reporting. As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but in some cases may represent Mercia as a Non-exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies.
Key responsibilities include –
- Demonstrates a knowledge of the UK venture landscape – understands the contribution of private equity /venture capital in terms of the achievement of the return on investment and explains the features of different models of private equity/venture capital and their importance to an organisation.
- Carries out market research to identify investment opportunities across industries, providing data as directed and makes recommendations for investment.
- Assesses the viability of an investment by building financial models as directed.
- Involvement in modelling deal structures.
- Monitors operational performance of investments in line with a plan.
- Applies good analytical skills to assess investee company performance, including understanding any variances.
- Carries out research in the sector to provide insight into valuation metrics and M&A activity to support assessment of exit opportunities and value creation.
- Involvement in the preparation of exit-related documentation as directed.
- Keeps Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
What you’ll need:
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling required.
- Experience preferred in supporting with the preparation of investment papers and with support, presenting effectively at Investment Committee meetings, showing a well-researched proposal.
- Experience of reporting on asset performance preferred.
- Understands the purpose of the 100 day plan and the expected deliverables.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment and demonstrating an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.