You are joining Mercia at the most exciting time in our history! Having recently completed a successful placing to raise £30.0million and the acquisition of three venture capital trusts (VCT) fund management contracts from NVM Private Equity LLP, this brings us significantly closer to achieving our strategic milestone of managing £1.0billion in AuM by 2022, and makes us a valuable and valued active asset manager.
Mercia has an exceptional record in delivering investment returns based on our flexible capital solutions across four asset classes of venture capital, private equity, debt and proprietary balance sheet capital. Together with the three Northern VCTs, Mercia plans to further dominate the regional venture capital market and offer full life-cycle support, from seed to scale-up and beyond, including when investee companies may no longer qualify for VCT investment. With strong regional investment track records and long-standing commitments to supporting fast- growing SMEs across the UK, Mercia and NVM have grown substantial portfolios.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join one of the UK’s most established and reputable venture capital trusts (VCTs). In this role, you will support the existing team to develop a broad portfolio of leading early-stage and developing companies, and will be expected to become involved in supporting the full range of venture capital activities, including deal origination, opportunity evaluation, structuring, negotiation, transaction execution, portfolio management and exit planning.
The role is targeted for a mid-career candidate with limited experience in venture capital who wishes to develop a career as an investment professional at this respected fund. There is emphasis on a flexible, strong, team player, who is eager to learn and add value immediately, through transferrable skills developed and demonstrated in a successful career to date. Creating superior returns for investors combines elements of strategic insight, commercial acumen, operational know-how, critical analytical capabilities, all underpinned by an enthusiasm for entrepreneurial activity. Earlier stage investing additionally requires a hands-on, practical approach, involving co-ordination between our small team of investment managers, management teams and specialist advisers, with excellent communication and presentation skills critical elements of this role.
Working in a generalist VCT investor, you will be expected to support the development of a diverse range of young companies, many of which will have a dependency upon technology and innovation. Investment will be across the regions of the UK, and so national travel will be required, with some flexibility on base location possible. The role will initially involve working alongside experienced investment professionals, but over a two to three-year period it is anticipated the successful applicant will become an Investment Manager with the appropriate regulatory approvals.
- Strong analytical skills, evidenced by an outstanding academic record in an engineering or science related discipline, ideally rounded with a professional qualification or MBA.
- Typically at least 5 years work experience in a leading commercial blue-chip organisation, with an excellent track record of achievement.
- Demonstrable enthusiasm and experience of working for the UK start-up and growth sector, underpinned by a love of technology.
- Commercial acumen and high levels of self-motivation and resilience.
- Have exceptional inter-personal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Core technical skills including presentations, excel, and potentially market and company analysis.
- A background in; consulting, accounting/corporate finance, investment banking, or a start-up, or even an operational role within a corporate.
- An appreciation of our Mercia Core Values and a desire to support the wider team.
You should have the right to work in the UK. This role requires full mobility within the UK and therefore you will need to be able to drive in the UK and have a car for business use.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: email@example.com