Mercia is known as one of the country’s leading regional investors able to drive significant and profitable growth
through our Complete Connected Capital model. Our mission is to find great domestic businesses with global
potential. Because of our strong local footprint, deep understanding and knowledge of the regions, we have
been successful in finding such businesses through serial founders that trust us to invest and behave responsibly.
Some of these are in quite discrete sectors which we are only able to access through our specialist expertise and
established networks, many of which have performed well in this current environment. An exciting time for the
company despite what has been an unprecedented year in terms of the disruption of COVID-19, Mercia has
emerged a year ahead of plan and has already grown its team by 24 people over the last 12 months.
Our strength has come as a result of our people and culture that has Mercia’s values at its core. We are now
looking to further grow our VCT team
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the investment team for one of the UK’s most established and reputable venture capital trusts (VCTs). In this role, you will support the existing team to develop a broad portfolio of leading early-stage and developing companies, and will be expected to become involved in supporting the full range of venture capital activities, including deal origination, opportunity evaluation, structuring, negotiation, transaction execution, portfolio management and exit planning.
The role is targeted for a mid-career candidate with limited experience in venture capital who wishes to develop a career as an investment professional at this respected fund. There is emphasis on a flexible, strong, team player, who is eager to learn and add value immediately, through transferrable skills developed and demonstrated in a successful career to date. Creating superior returns for investors combines elements of strategic insight, commercial acumen, operational know-how, critical analytical capabilities, all underpinned by an enthusiasm for entrepreneurial activity. Earlier stage investing additionally requires a hands-on, practical approach, involving co-ordination between our small team of investment managers, management teams and specialist advisers, with excellent communication and presentation skills critical elements of this role.
Working as a generalist VCT investor, you will be expected to support the development of a diverse range of young companies, many of which will have a dependency upon technology and innovation. Whilst the role is primarily focused in the London area or SW/Thames Valley, investment may be across the regions of the UK, and so national travel will be required, with some flexibility on base location possible.
The role will initially involve working alongside experienced investment professionals, but over a two to three-year period it is anticipated the successful applicant will become an Investment Manager with the appropriate regulatory approvals.
- Strong analytical skills, evidenced by an outstanding academic record in an engineering or science related discipline, ideally rounded with a professional qualification or MBA.
- Typically at least 5 years work experience in a leading commercial blue-chip organisation, corporate finance house, venture fund with an excellent track record of achievement.
- Demonstrable enthusiasm and experience of working for the UK start-up and growth sector, underpinned by a love of technology.
- Commercial acumen and high levels of self-motivation and resilience.
- Have exceptional inter-personal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Core technical skills including presentations, excel, and potentially market and company analysis.
- A background in; consulting, accounting/corporate finance, investment banking, or a start-up, or even an operational role within a corporate.
- An appreciation of our Mercia Core Values and a desire to support the wider team.
You should have the right to work in the UK. This role requires full mobility within the UK and therefore you will need to be able to drive in the UK and have a car for business use.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.