We seek an outstanding individual, to take a leading and formative role in the development of Mercia’s VCT business, managing a team, developing and overseeing junior investment team members, making and managing VCT qualifying investments.
This is a full-time position and you will have flexibility to be based at one of our 12 office locations in the UK. You will report to the Managing Director – Mercia Ventures and you will be expected to travel to other offices and locations as required.
Mercia is a values-based organisation built around Growth Focused, Responsive, Connected, Responsible/Respectful and Trusted.
- Complement and represent the broader Mercia group by expanding our deal generating capability; bringing and building your own and the teams networks to source and de-risk investment opportunities.
- Provide input on assessing early stage investments in the VCT team; personally transact and manage VCT qualifying investments.
- Work closely with portfolio companies post investment, attending board meetings and likely managing follow-on investment and rounds, while also being able to add value-add scale-up advice, right through to exit.
- Influence fund strategy and culture of investment decision making both at initial investment stage and in follow-ons.
- Keeping abreast of business developments, trends and business opportunities.
- Oversee research and financial modelling to assist in identifying suitable investment opportunities.
- Oversee appropriate due diligence analysis on potential investee companies, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Making recommendations for structuring a transaction, taking into account the specifics of the deal.
- Writing investment papers to a high level of quality and within Investment Procedure guidelines as well as ensuring wider team meet same standards.
- Presenting at Investment Committee meetings, showing a well-researched proposal and handling objections.
- Provide support and oversight with legal negotiation on investments with support from the Managing Director.
- Carrying out all work in accordance with legislative, regulatory and statutory requirements, and articulating the potential consequences of non-compliance.
- Reviewing investee company performance and ensuring compliance with the Investment Agreement and ensuring good corporate governance.
- Supporting and advising investee companies on the need to change where appropriate.
- Managing any conflicts of interests.
- Monitoring the performance of an investment against the business plan and KPIs.
- Monitoring the delivery of the Value Creation plan and escalating issues.
- Attending investee company board meetings.
- Shortlisting of potential exit routes, assessing factors that may affect the choice of exit route and implementing an agreed exit plan.
- Researching appropriate co-investors and structuring deals with potential new investors.
- Reporting on the performance of investments and reviewing monthly management accounts and reports against agreed criteria.
- Promoting the benefits of socially responsible ways of working to portfolio companies.
- Sharing industry and technical knowledge with more junior members of the team.
- You will be required to carry out the development reviews for your team and provide regular coaching and personal development of your team
- Ensuring the team keep Group CRM systems updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
What you’ll need:
- Typically you will have 5+ years’ relevant investment experience.
- You must have a demonstrable track-record of driving returns by working with portfolio companies; and will be comfortable being able to play this role for Mercia, recognising that returns are as likely to emanate from these activities as from initial asset selection.
- You will be able to demonstrate a track record of outstanding success in your career to date.
- You will ideally have a background in technology.
- Strong analytical skills, evidenced by an outstanding academic record in a business, engineering or science related discipline, ideally rounded with a professional qualification or MBA.
- Demonstrable enthusiasm and experience of working for the UK start-up and growth sector, underpinned by a love of technology.
- Commercial acumen and high levels of self-motivation and resilience.
- Have exceptional inter-personal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Core technical skills including presentations, Excel, and potentially market and company analysis.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Connected, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted) and have a desire to support the wider team.
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and locations, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender reassignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
At this time, we are not accepting any CV’s or applications from recruiters or employment agencies.