Mercia is a national investment group focused on the creation/identification, funding and scaling of innovative technology businesses with high growth potential from the UK regions. As an Investment Director in our Midlands based Ventures team, you will be responsible for the management of investment of the MEIF Fund in the Midlands region and supporting the wider development of the MEIF investment team.
You will be based in the Midlands, and there is a requirement to travel to other Mercia offices and investee companies on a regular basis.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Undertaking business development and self-generating proposals, actively promoting the Fund and its activities to its target audiences.
- Identification and assessment of suitable new investment opportunities to achieve annual investment targets (at a team and individual level).
- Negotiating deals and executing transactions, including the technical structuring of competitive investment packages to meet the requirements of the Fund.
- Completion of all relevant financial, people and legal elements of any transaction, including management of any due diligence process and liaising with external advisors .
- Post investment after-care, comprising management and monitoring of the financial and operational performance of the investee company and supporting and giving guidance on its operational and strategic issues.
- Ensuring service level standards and turnaround times are met.
- Ensuring all regulatory and customer requirements are complied with.
- Preparing written reports and verbal presentations to the Investment Committee in respect of investment recommendations.
- Mentoring the team and developing less experienced colleagues.
- Previous investment management experience (5+ years), combined with a strong technical background.
- Sound commercial acumen and analytical skills
- Will ideally have a strong network within the Midlands region.
- Demonstrate business acumen and analytical skills.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a degree is strongly preferred.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Previous experience of managing teams.
- Experience of working with Boards of investee companies.
- Ideally achieved threshold competence or equivalent.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and client sites, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we can offer you:
In addition to your base salary, we offer a broad and exciting range of perks and benefits, including family-friendly policies, wellbeing support, Mercia Spirit charity days, regular 1-2-1’s, mentoring and support with training and career development.
We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you prefer to use.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.