Mercia is known as one of the country’s leading regional investors able to drive significant and profitable growth through our Complete Connected Capital model. Our mission is to find great domestic businesses with global potential. Because of our strong local footprint, deep understanding and knowledge of the regions, we have been successful in finding such businesses through serial founders that trust us to invest and behave responsibly. Some of these are in quite discrete sectors which we are only able to access through our specialist expertise and established networks, many of which have performed well in this current environment. An exciting time for the company despite what has been an unprecedented year in terms of the disruption of COVID-19, Mercia has emerged a year ahead of plan and has already grown its team by 24 people over the last 12 months.
Our strength has come as a result of our people and culture that has Mercia’s values at its core. We are now looking to further grow our team.
As a member of the Direct Investment team you will be responsible for working closely with investee companies and Mercia colleagues to support the management of the portfolio, including new investment opportunities, to deliver positive outcomes for Mercia stakeholders.
- Providing support to the investment team on our Direct Investments, working closely with the Managing Director, Mercia Investments. This may include attending board meetings with members of the Executive Team and / or Investment Directors and supporting with follow-up actions.
- Working with the Managing Director, Mercia Investments to identify, shadow, assess and diligence new investment opportunities and, where relevant, to support in negotiating and managing the investment process.
- Post investment after-care, assisting with management and monitoring of the financial performance of the investee companies.
- Monitoring investee company performance and anticipating funding requirements to avoid short calls for cash.
- Helping to assess requests for further funding.
- Writing investment committee papers and participating in presentations to Investment Committees on portfolio company performance.
- Supporting the investment team to manage exit processes.
- Work with the CIO, Manging Director Mercia Investments and Portfolio Associate to produce timely internal and external reports and valuations.
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Track record of advising on or making venture capital investments (ideally a minimum of three years).
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling.
- Knowledge and experience of the UK venture landscape.
- Experience of working with Boards of companies.
- Evidence of managing multiple projects to tight deadlines.
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- A relevant accounting qualification is preferred.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ambitious and self-motivated.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment, with an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.