As a member of the Mercia Portfolio team you will be providing proactive management of investments in companies made by the Mercia Investment team. Specifically you will help to manage the portfolio of assets in the managed funds portfolio. This may be subject to change from time to time. As your career develops you will not only attend board meetings but in some case may represent Mercia as a Non-Exec Director on the boards of some of our investee companies. You will also support the preparation of investment documentation and act as the main point of contact for portfolio reporting.
You will be based in Leeds and there is a requirement to travel to other Mercia offices and investee companies on a regular basis.
In this role you will be responsible for the following:
- Where appointed as an observer or Non-Executive Director of an investee company, monitoring the performance of the company against the agreed business plan and KPIs.
- Assessing investee company performance and anticipating funding requirements to avoid short calls for cash and make recommendations.
- Writing investment committee papers and presenting to Investment Committees on portfolio company performance.
- Ensuring the timely receipt of management accounts; holding regular board meetings; and compliance with the investment agreements for each assigned portfolio company.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of good corporate governance and will work with the Chair to ensure it is followed.
- Working with Boards to advise on business strategy and board effectiveness.
- Supporting the post-investment monitoring of investments, including exit management.
- Making regular reports and reviews to the Fund Principal or Head of Portfolio and to such internal or external bodies as appropriate for each investment.
- Regularly networking with the business and financial communities in target sectors/regions, supporting new fundraisings and business development.
- Ensuring that all regulatory and compliance matters are acted upon.
- Keeping our group CRM system regularly updated.
Skills & Experience:
- Previous investment/portfolio management experience is preferable but is not essential.
- A sound technical background, e.g. accountancy/banking qualification and/or experience of working in a corporate finance/corporate recovery professional team is essential.
- The ability to build solid internal relationships and external partnerships with investment/portfolio colleagues and assigned portfolio companies;
- Experience of partnering with Boards of investee companies and making recommendations to our Investment Director where management changes may be appropriate;
- An established network of professional advisers, turnaround professionals, FDs etc.
- Experience of financial analysis and strong analytical skills.
- Excellent communications skills, comfortable having difficult conversations and managing multiple stakeholders.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- A strong work and team ethic.
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Responsible/Respectful, Trusted and Connected).
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ambition and self-motivation – ability to self-manage time and priorities.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Given the regular travel to our other UK offices and client sites, unrestricted mobility is a requirement, with a current / valid driving licence enabling you to drive in the UK.
- The role is full-time and you should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender reassignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy if we receive sufficient applications for the position. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.