You are joining Mercia at the most exciting time in our history! Having acquired three venture capital trusts (VCT) fund management contracts from NVM Private Equity LLP at the end of 2019, this brings us significantly closer to achieving our strategic milestone of managing £1.0billion in AuM by 2022, and makes us a valuable and valued active asset manager.
Mercia has an exceptional record in delivering investment returns based on our flexible capital solutions across four asset classes of venture capital, private equity, debt and proprietary balance sheet capital. Together with the three Northern VCTs, Mercia plans to further dominate the regional venture capital market and offer full life-cycle support, from seed to scale-up and beyond, including when investee companies may no longer qualify for VCT investment.
With strong regional investment track records and long-standing commitments to supporting fast- growing SMEs across the UK, Mercia and NVM have grown substantial portfolios.
You will be supporting the investment in companies with a focus on the Yorkshire, Humber and Tees Valley geographic region. These investments will be made from the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund.
Investments will be made from the Northern Powerhouse Investment Fund but will also include other legacy funds under management. You will provide support to the investment team in all areas of the investment process and the administration of the assigned funds, to ensure the efficient planning and execution of the day-to-day functions of the funds and their investments.
The Fund Administrator will report to the Managing Director – Mercia Regional Venture Funds but will liaise extensively with the investment teams, our Head of Portfolio and our Chief Investment Officer.
As a Fund Administrator, you will be responsible for assisting the investment teams with:
- Co-ordinating all investment applications by ensuring the correct information is logged in the CRM system and that there are timely follow ups in line with internal KPI’s. Co-ordinate WIP reviews as part of the weekly team meetings and ensure that all information is up to date and accurate.
- Performing AML checks on all parties involved in new deal completions and in monitoring the existing portfolio. Ensuring that documentation of deals is compliant with both Mercia’s internal processes and external standards.
- Co-ordinate the paperwork required for the deal completion process, from inception to completion, cash transfer and post-completion tasks, ensuring that this is appropriately collated and filed for future audits.
- Manage the output collection process to evidence that the fund has achieved its non-financial targets. Monitor progress in this area and take a proactive approach to collecting new outputs.
- Maintaining investment databases and other records in respect of all client fund portfolio investments; recording new investments, and liaison and reconciliation to Finance Department and financial systems for the purpose of recording budgeted investment returns and subsequent monitoring of actual income and realisations; including where necessary any other changes to investment details.
- Ensuring the timely and accurate drawdown of cash from client funds and collate the corresponding paperwork.
- Developing the Agenda for team meetings (e.g. weekly WIP meetings and quarterly portfolio review sessions) and preparing minutes/an action points tracker highlighting key actions and responsibilities.
- Documenting minutes from Investment Committee meetings and Portfolio Review sessions
- Ensuring that all portfolio companies provide monthly management information in a timely manner.
- Take ownership of the quarterly reporting process, adhering to the timetable and ensuring that all third-party information is collated in a timely manner. This includes production of the report, the valuations spreadsheet, liaising with finance regarding the quarterly accounts, and ensuring that all CRM systems are up to date.
- Planning timetables for and assisting with all client reporting and various audits per year(having regard to internal, FSA and other reporting deadlines) and ensure that any necessary internal/third party information or statistics are supplied to/requested from the relevant party to enable timely production of valuations, reports and accounts.
- Working with the Marketing function to plan, co-ordinate and execute promotion of the Fund and its activities, including networking events when possible.
- Helping to ensure that marketing collateral and the website is kept up to date. Co-ordinate the PR process for new deal announcements.
- General office management for the Manchester/Leeds office, including ordering supplies, co-ordinating deliveries, handling post and liaising with the building manager.
- Assisting the investment teams with collating and recording key contacts, ensure internal drive portfolio documents are updated and helping to organise meetings.
- Assistance as required in the general development, promotion and day to day management of the Mercia business and its current and future funds.
- Assisting and covering colleagues working on other funds during times of holiday or absence.
You will also assist the Fund Accountant with preparing financial information and statements as required from time to time.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Previous work experience in the administration of Regional Funds strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in a financially based administration role, combined with a strong controls background. (Relevant experience in the financial services sector is not a requirement but would be useful).
- Previous experience in a compliance, audit, or operational role would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Strong MS Excel modelling skills are essential as well as proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and database use.
- You must have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be able to work with all levels of management.
- Excellent time management and a high level of organisation is essential, including the ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple projects independently.
- Strong work ethic and ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Self-starter with a passion for technology and start-ups and a desire to make a difference within a growing investment business.
- ‘Team-player’ mindset and a willingness to assist the team in ad hoc tasks as required.
- We are a collaborative team and it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- You should be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices for meetings, including our Henley, Leeds and Manchester offices on a regular basis.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
If you would like to apply for this position, send your CV and a covering letter, detailing your availability to join us: email@example.com