We are currently recruiting for a full time Investment Manager to support the investment in and monitoring of companies across the United Kingdom. The Mercia EIS Fund is an early-stage technology fund that provides investment from £100,000 to £2m to technology businesses across a range of sectors. The Mercia EIS Fund has a portfolio of over 70 assets and the fund plays an important part of the Mercia connected capital strategy.
We are flexible on location but ideally looking for someone to be based in the Midlands or Southwest region. You must be prepared and able to travel to other Mercia offices and portfolio companies.
The Investment Manager is responsible for:
- Keeping abreast of business developments, trends and business opportunities.
- Developing a network of introducers to demonstrate own potential deal flow.
- Carrying out research and financial modelling to assist the Investment Director in identifying suitable investment opportunities.
- Carrying out due diligence analysis on potential investee companies, involving all relevant stakeholders.
- Making recommendations for structuring a transaction, taking into account the specifics of the deal.
- Writing investment papers to a high level of quality and within Investment Procedure guidelines.
- Presenting at Investment Committee meetings, showing a well-researched proposal and handling objections.
- Dealing with legal negotiation on investments with support from the Investment Director or Fund Principal.
- Carrying out all work in accordance with legislative, regulatory and statutory requirements, and articulating the potential consequences of non-compliance.
- Reviewing investee company performance and ensuring compliance with the Investment Agreement and ensuring good corporate governance.
- Supporting and advising investee companies on the need to change where appropriate.
- Managing any conflicts of interests.
- Monitoring the performance of an investment against the business plan and KPIs.
- Monitoring the delivery of the 100 day plan and escalating issues.
- Attending investee company board meetings.
- Shortlisting of potential exit routes, assessing factors that may affect the choice of exit route and implementing an agreed exit plan.
- Researching appropriate co-investors and structuring deals with potential new investors.
- Reporting on the performance of investments and reviewing monthly management accounts and reports against agreed criteria.
- Promoting the benefits of socially responsible ways of working to portfolio companies.
- Sharing industry and technical knowledge with more junior members of the team.
- You may be asked to provide input in to the development reviews of more junior members of the team.
- Keeping Group CRM system updated to ensure records are accurate and current.
What you’ll need:
- We are a collaborative team and so it’s important that you share our Mercia Core Values (Growth Focused, Responsive, Knowledgeable, Trusted).
- Track record of making early stage technology investments in a venture capital fund or similar (at least three years).
- Solid knowledge and experience of the UK venture landscape.
- Experienced in early stage investments and building a solid network with advisers, deal introducers, HNWIs and NXDs across the United Kingdom.
- Experience of working with Boards of investee companies.
- Evidence of managing multiple investment projects to tight deadlines.
- Solid business acumen and analytical skills.
- Strong work and team ethics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of financial analysis and modelling.
- Experience in writing good quality investment papers and presenting effectively at Investment Committee meetings.
- Experience of reporting on portfolio company performance.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment, with an understanding of the potential consequences of non-compliance with legislative, statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Strong Excel skills are essential, together with a good working knowledge of other Microsoft Office products.
- Evidence of academic achievement – a relevant degree is strongly preferred.
- You must be able to drive and be prepared to travel to our other Mercia offices and client sites.
- You should have the right to work in the UK.
What we offer:
You will receive a competitive base salary along with an exciting range of perks and benefits.
Mercia Asset Management PLC is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We value diversity at Mercia and are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment equally and fairly, regardless of race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or religious beliefs, gender or gender realignment, sexual orientation or marital status, disability, responsibility for dependants or age.